[Council] namespaces as HTTP URIs

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Oct 7 18:11:04 CDT 2002

I'm glad we're all in agreement. :P

First, we seem to agree on the http://jabber.org/ part.

After that, DW is in favor of "jeps" whereas everyone else likes
"protocol". DW, what's the reasoning behind "jeps"? I prefer "protocol"
because it seems to me we're using this only for Draft and beyond. JEPs
are how protocols are proposed, not the end result.

As to naming, we could do abbreviations (by which "multi-user chat"
becomes "muc") or some kind of full name. Abbreviations seem cleaner to
me.

This multi-user chat protocol is a bit "different" in having sub-protocols
for owner, admin, and user. They could also be seen as related protocols
(muc-owner, muc-admin, muc-user) rather than a hierarchy. I don't know
that it matters all that much.

In any case we need to group them together somehow. I'd prefer not to
overload names. Thus, to me, muc-owner is not as clean as muc/owner or
muc#owner.

Are there are other examples in which we'd have a hierarchy or do we want
to have a flat "address space" here? Going forward I would think we will
not have things like protocol/x/roster since there really isn't a valid
distinction in my mind between "x" and "iq" namespaces (in fact our
current situation with x:roster and iq:roster etc. is confusing). So I
would argue for no hierarchies. This leads me to think that fragments with
"#" are better.

Since I agree with pgm that version numbers are not necessary unless
we have future revisions (and in any case I think versioning is best
handled outside the namespace declaration, a la XSLT etc.), I would argue
for this:

http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#admin
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user