[Council] Last Call with External Protocols

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Nov 29 14:14:26 CST 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 06:10:16PM -0600, Thomas Muldowney wrote:
> So while pondering, and discussing the SOAP JEP with others it struck
> me that we don't really have a clear path for dealing with external
> protocols and last calls.  We really need a two step last call process
> where we have the XMPP/Jabber side of the last call through our
> channels and we need knowledgeable users of the external protocol to
> basically last call it as well.  I think we've seen this with XHTML as
> well, where we've needed more core XHTML designers to give us some
> input before we move forward with something that won't fit into the
> external protocol usage.  So I was wondering if we wanted some more
> strict definition of how we get that input or is it up to us during
> last call and voting phases?

You raise a good point. It's probably worth defining a process for this
based on our experience with XHTML and now SOAP and CAP. I definitely
agree that external review is valuable and necessary here. My only
concern is time -- as we saw with XHTML, getting review from another
organization or expert can take a lot of time and effort.