[Council] -1 on rayo-clustering (was: Re: Minutes 2014-04-23)

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Apr 24 09:15:15 UTC 2014

Am 24.04.2014 10:58, schrieb Kevin Smith:
> Room logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2014-04-23/
[...]
> 3) http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/rayo-clustering.html
> Accept as Experimental
>
> Lance/Philipp to post their objections to the council/standards lists.

here we go... the requirements make senese. However,
     Nodes and Clients SHOULD NOT be aware of each others identity
     of presence, and SHOULD only communicate with the Gateway(s).
stated later in section 4.2. actually shows why the XSF does not need to
standardize this;
it requires no extensions to a stock rayo client.

ISTR that ejabberd allows multiple components to connect for the same
domain and then does some kind of session-based loadbalancing.
This is somewhat more generic but we have not standardized either either.

minor issue:
The spec is also using RFC 2119 language a little too often in places,
where this is not required for interoperability. E.g. for using two
domains or when describing load balancing.

<hat type=guy-who-used-to-write-servers>
Using resource identifiers to encode the rayo node, similar to the way
google talk apparently uses them, might allow the gateway to minimize
the state kept.
</hat>