[JDEV] Advocacy 2: Why do you jabber?
raxhonp at easynet.be
Sun Feb 2 05:46:46 CST 2003
Ulrich Staudinger wrote:
>why do users use jabber?
1. The ability to run my own server, for free (or not), for internal
and/or external use, with complete freedom on it (see 5).
2. The jabber protocol is open. The specs are available and anyone can
contribute to them, perpetuating the spirit of the internet (RFC).
3. IMHO, the jabber protocol is the best I know of, based on XML and
easy to extend to fit any need.
4. Interoperability: jabber interoperate with most of the other IM
system, name it.
5. The ability to write my own server or modify an existing one, without
going to jail.
6. The choice in jabber clients. Clients exist for every OS, and if you
want a different one, one can write it, since without going to jail.
More information about the JDev