[jdev] XEP-0060 Subscription Authorization

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Nov 12 09:55:23 CST 2007


Alexey Nezhdanov wrote:
> On Friday 09 November 2007 23:54:03 Lindsay Oproman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question about subscription authorization that I was hoping
>> someone on this list might be able to help me with. I didn't see
>> anything in the documentation that answers my question. This may be
>> because I am new to XMPP and do not fully understand how resources are
>> treated by the server.
>>
>> Essentially, what I'm trying to do is have notifications sent to *all*
>> FULL JIDs of a subscriber upon publication. For example, me at domain.com
>> subscribes to a topic. Something is then published to that topic. I
>> want a notification to go to both me at domain.com/resourceA and
>> me at domain.com/resourceB... not just the primary entity (whatever that
>> may be).
>>
>> So, I figure one way to do this is to have me at domain.com/resourceA and
>> me at domain.com/resourceB both explicitly subscribe to the topic (using
>> their full JID). However, this is where my question regarding
>> authorization comes in. If me at domain.com is white listed, will
>> me at domain.com/resourceA and me at domain.com/resourceB be granted access
>> all the same? Alternatively, if the topic is using authorization
>> access mode, if authorization is granted to me at domain.com, will
>> individual authorization still need to be granted to both
>> me at domain.com/resourceA and me at domain.com/resourceB?
> In the 6.1.1 it is explicitly mentioned that you can subscribe either an 
> individual resource or a bare jid.
> 
> You see - pubsub component generally do not knows what resources are online at 
> the moment - so it just can't guess where to send updates. If you are 
> subscribed by the bare jid - it will send update to it and _your_ server will 
> take care of delivery.
> 
> Most servers deliver <message/>s only to one resource - so most often it will 
> be the case. However the RFC leaves it to the server's discretion - i.e. 
> server MAY distribute it to one or all resources.
> So I can make a conclusion that deliver of updates to the bare jid is
> 1) server-specific
> 2) question of _your_ server configuration

Hi Alexey,

Everything you say is true.

I suppose the question for Lindsay is, which of the follwoing do you want?

1. Receive every message at every resource

2. Receive every pubsub notifications at every resource

3. Receive some pubsub notifications at every resource

I can understand why you might want any of these, although #2 seems less
interesting to me. In any case, as Alexey says, #1 is handled by your
XMPP server. #2 is handled by the pubsub service as a node-specific
configuration option controlled by the node owner. #3 is handled by the
pubsub service as a subscription-specific configuration option
controlled by the subscriber.

We have not yet defined the configuration options to enable #2 and #3,
but we can define those options in the relevant FORM_TYPEs if there is
interest in this functionality.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 7338 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/attachments/20071112/65805deb/attachment-0002.bin>


More information about the JDev mailing list