[jdev] pubsub and paid for content

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Apr 2 12:21:29 CDT 2008

Roelof Naude wrote:
> hi all,
>
> we are currently brainstorming about pubsub. some of the content that
> one may provide, needs to be paid for, e.g. live share price updates.

Cool, we'll finally get to use the <payment-required/> error. :)

> (most providers can provide a delayed feed for a fixed fee. but why
> settle for a delayed feed if we can get a live feed?)
>
> what would be the best practice to allow only paid subscribers access to
> such content?

In general I think you would associate someone's JabberID with your
database of paying customers. If someone attempts to subscribe to a
for-pay node but they have not paid for access to that node, you would
return a payment-required error. Probably you would use "leased
subscriptions" as outlined in XEP-0060 -- e.g., a subscription lasts for
1 year and then you must renew.

> one of the ideas we are floating currently is the following:
> 1. provide a bot/component so that users can register with it. component
> would be preferable, as most components (or gateway components provide a
> register functionality). additionally an out-of-band registration
> process may be provided, e.g. website.
> 2. this component/bot would be the node owner when creating pubsub nodes
> and can authorize subscription requests. (accessmodel = authorize
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#accessmodels)

I don't see why you'd need to make such a bot the node owner, but
interacting with a bot might seem more natural to end users.

> 3. additionally such a component/bot could send notifications when funds
> are running low, e.g. only 5 messages left

That's the leased subscription concept. But you could certainly send
additional messages, poke the person via SMS, or whatever.

> 4. subscription requests to paid for content when funds are inefficient
> will receive the payment-require error message:
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#subscriber-subscribe-error-payment

Yes.

> topping up your virtual pubsub wallet could be handled by:
> 1. visit above website with your credit card
> 2. send a premium rated sms (mxit does the same thing)
> 3. provide some other out-of-band payment options (eletronic transfer
> etc. this of course will hardly be real-time).
>
> are any other options or caveats that we should be aware of?

Not that I know of. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

https://stpeter.im/