[jdev] Consistent JIDs across multiple XMPP servers

Stephen Pendleton stephenpendleton at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:57:34 CDT 2008

Todd, I have successfully implemented a mobile solution that may cover this use case, however it was intended for MANET systems which did not have central servers and not the client/server system that you are envisioning. However here is a idea that you may consider:

Instead of keeping track which server the mobile device is currently connected to and routing that message there, you can have a component simply broadcast the message intended to the mobile client to all connected servers.  It then doesn't matter which server the client eventually connects to because the message will be available on all servers. The client would also need to know how to discard messages that were already received so they do not reach the user interface of the mobile user.

It is much simpler than trying to intelligently route the messages.

It might be interesting to use the stanza repeater XEP to implement this, although it just comes down to rewriting the "to" attribute in the stanzas. I am assuming to delivery companies data centers have access to all the XMPP servers.

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:45:37 -0400From: TMOYER at arinc.comTo: jdev at jabber.orgSubject: [jdev] Consistent JIDs across multiple XMPP servers

This is my first post to the list, and I'm looking for advice on the applicability of XMPP to a certain problem space.  Dave Crindland suggested posting it to the developer
---------- Todd Moyer Advanced Transportation Programs ARINC, Inc. (410)266-4241