[jdev] My GSoC project : to continue the PyMSNt development.
norman at rasmussen.co.za
Wed Apr 9 09:35:17 CDT 2008
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
> Understood. But what features do most people really use? Is it just
> presence and IM (and possibly groupchat), or do most people also require
> the ability for file transfers, voice calls, emoticons (etc.) to go
> across the bridge between Jabber and MSN?
- IM and presense are critical
- Groupchat is pretty important in a business environment
- FT is important for sending a quick picture (or screenshot of a
- Voice calls are a nice to have, but we don't have a stable+implemented
- Emoticons would be a real croud pleaser, but they're 100% eye candy
> And perhaps those who really do need the complete feature set could step
> up to the plate and help fund work on the transports? Not everything
> needs to happen through the XSF or the Google Summer of Code.
Agreed, at the moment the various transports only have maintainers (not
new-feature-implementers). I think all of us find that we'd love to spend
time on them, but due to other commitments (including those that end up
earning us cold-hard-cash), we just haven't had time or motivation to donate
to the transports.
If people want to see new features, then start collecting up some cash - if
you can get enough together, then there's bound to be a developer out there
that will bite. (This worked for the python MySpaceIM transport -- to be
released as GPL in about July)
- Norman Rasmussen
- Email: norman at rasmussen.co.za
- Home page: http://norman.rasmussen.co.za/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the JDev