[jdev] My GSoC project : to continue the PyMSNt development.

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Apr 10 03:44:17 CDT 2008

Norman Rasmussen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Sander Devrieze
> <s.devrieze at pandora.be <mailto:s.devrieze at pandora.be>> wrote:
>
>     This is not bad. For the Aunt Tilly user using the XMPP client it
>     should just work.
>

> Agreed, this is better for the Aunt Tilly scenario, but far worse for
> the early XMPP adopter that can't receive files from his MSN tech
> friends, causing them to think XMPP can't do FT.
Yes definitely it should really work both ways or not at all IMO, its
not all that hard to implement this and there are several ways you can
do it, and if you have already implemented the transfer of avatars or
custom emoticons in the msn protocol then you are most of the way to
implementing msn filetransfer anyway. Then once you can send and receive
files to the msn contacts on the msn protocol side its just a matter of
implementing your chosen XMPP file transfer method on the XMPP side of
the transport, be that SI/IBB/Bytestreams or just the passing of the URL
that the XMPP client can download the file from via HTTP, personally id
go for implementing SI and the jingle based method once that's finalised
as the experience for the XMPP user will then be far more seemless.

Richard