[jdev] My GSoC project : to continue the PyMSNt development.

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Thu Apr 10 03:59:31 CDT 2008

2008/4/10, Richard Dobson <richard at dobson-i.net>:
> Norman Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze at pandora.be
> <mailto:s.devrieze at pandora.be>> wrote:
> >
> >    This is not bad. For the Aunt Tilly user using the XMPP client it
> >    should just work.
> >
> > Agreed, this is better for the Aunt Tilly scenario, but far worse for the
> early XMPP adopter that can't receive files from his MSN tech friends,
> causing them to think XMPP can't do FT.
> >
>  Yes definitely it should really work both ways or not at all IMO, its not
> all that hard to implement this and there are several ways you can do it,
> and if you have already implemented the transfer of avatars or custom
> emoticons in the msn protocol then you are most of the way to implementing
> msn filetransfer anyway. Then once you can send and receive files to the msn
> contacts on the msn protocol side its just a matter of implementing your
> chosen XMPP file transfer method on the XMPP side of the transport, be that
> SI/IBB/Bytestreams or just the passing of the URL that the XMPP client can
> download the file from via HTTP, personally id go for implementing SI and
> the jingle based method once that's finalised as the experience for the XMPP
> user will then be far more seemless.

Who said targeting tech people is a good idea? Did tech people were
the ones that choose which closed IM system they use? Compare
targeting tech people with Mozilla or Linux distributions before
Ubuntu appeared and targeting Aunt Tillies with Firefox, Ubuntu-like
distributions or Eee PC with Linux on it. Which strategy is the most
successful in all these examples: targeting tech people or targeting
Aunt Tillies? Conclusion: tech people (WE!) do NOT matter when network
effects are involved, Aunt Tillies are numerous and thus do matter.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.