[jdev] My GSoC project : to continue the PyMSNt development.

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Apr 10 06:08:31 CDT 2008

> I was talking about webdav file transfers which will not need reverse
> engineering of the closed network file transfer protocol as the
> transport can simply send the webdav uri as a plain text message to
> the contact on the closed IM system. This file transfer method will be
> safe for protocol changes on the closed network and thus will *always*
> work once it is stable. This file transfer method also will need less
> resources from the XMPP server on which the transport is hosted (when
> the webdav server is not on the same server). So, this file transfer
> method will be more scalable than other file transfer methods that
> will need to go through the transport, be converted, etc.

I see well I wouldnt really consider that as proper file transfer, its
more just sending a link to someone, also just had a look at the
documentation for pyMSNt and that says it already supports MSN
filetransfers using SI (XEP-0096,XEP-0065) so this argument is pretty
much moot as its already been implemented in one of the more widely used
MSN transports, also it really is not that difficult to implement and
the reverse engineered protocol docs are out there, the protocol for
filetransfers on msn also doesn't change (at all AFAIK) for a particular
version of the MSN protocol (microsoft versions their protocol with
official clients and servers supporting several versions, when you
connect you tell the server which version you wish to use), I would
suggest you read up on the MSN protocol to better understand things.

So in conclusion its already been implemented (so not the issue you are
trying to make it out to be), there is no need to worry about the msn
protocol side suddenly changing as it simply won't unless the transport
is upgraded to support a newer version of the protocol in which case the
developer will know that they will need to make modifications to the
protocol handling.

Richard