[jdev] Authentication Process For Jabber.com

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Fri Apr 11 10:12:38 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:01:06PM +0300, Sergei Golovan wrote:
> On 3/10/08, Justin Karneges <justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com> wrote:
> I would like to see (probably in a separate section) rules for closing
> streams like the following:
>
> 1) If an entity sends non-well-formed XML as defined in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816 then the receiving entity
> MUST close the stream and return xml-not-well-formed error.
>
> 2) If an entity sends namespace-non-well-formed XML as defined in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names then the receiving entity MUST
> close the stream and return xml-not-well-formed error (or may be it's
> better to introduce a separate error for this case).
>
> 3) IF an entity defines XMLNS prefix in a stream header and use it in
> a stanza (which means that the stanza isn't routable as is) then the
> receiving entity MAY close the stream and return xml-non-well-formed
> error, but SHOULD move namespace definition to a stanza level (or
> convert namespace prefix into xmlns attribute) and process the stanza.
>
> (The third rule is arguable though.) These rules ensure
> namespace-well-formedness of XMPP streams, and no custom XML parsers
> will be necessary to parse XMPP streams. Currently, general XML
> parsers either ignore namespace prefixes at all (which means that
> clients using them will loose some data) or break on unbound prefixes
> (which means disconnections on <gajim:die/>).

+1

   11 16:35:24 <elmex> what should i do with badly prefixed xml?
   11 16:35:28 + jcea joined
   11 16:35:35 <elmex> like <x:bla/> with undeclared prefix 'bla'
   11 16:35:37 - sleekbot parted
   11 16:35:42 <elmex> some servers seem to pass that through
   11 16:36:45 - jcea parted
   11 16:36:54 + jcea joined
   11 16:36:59 + sleekbot joined
   11 16:37:08 - sleekbot parted
   11 16:37:52 <TobiasFar> elmex: on client side?
   11 16:38:13 + sleekbot joined
   11 16:39:22 <elmex> TobiasFar: yea
   11 16:39:24 <elmex> client side
   11 16:40:00 - sleekbot parted
   11 16:41:42 <TobiasFar> hmm..i'd guess disconnecting and issuing an
   xml-not-well-formed error
   11 16:41:54 <elmex> hmm ,ok
   11 16:42:15 <TobiasFar> this way people stop using buggy servers :)
   11 16:42:27 <elmex> TobiasFar: like jabber.org? :)

:-)

Robin

--
Robin Redeker                         | Deliantra, the free code+content MORPG
elmex at ta-sa.org / r.redeker at gmail.com | http://www.deliantra.net