[jdev] IPv6 readyness?

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 07:45:50 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Andre-John Mas <ajmas at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am currently experimenting with IPv6 and I am curious to know whether
> anyone has looked at the various elements of XMPP to see whether they would
> break if using IPv6 address and transport?
>
>  Additonally has anyone actually tried any of the servers on an IPv6
> network?

Yes, few years ago I did it for an institution managing the network of
the public administration in my region. Mainly it's all about DNS and
libraries, there is no protocol related issue as far as I know. DNS
must correctly map host names to IPv6 addresses and handle SRV records
as well, but that is just a problem of configuration. The only problem
we found was about clients and software libraries that sometimes have
ipv6 support turned off by default (for example I remember that I had
to recompile psi for all the platforms and do minor fixes in order to
correctly handle ipv6 addresses).
There may be also a more general problem of UI, since many clients and
configuration tools allowing you to directly specify connection
addresses  have input fields accepting only IPv4 addresses.
Finally the biggest problem I see is about voip and direct stream. If
it is true that IPv6 can resolve the problem of NAT (though I don't be
on this, since we will always have firewalls), on the other hand IPv6
may introduce some issues about multihoming, adding several  addresses
to the network intercase without supplying any means to the
application for discovering which is the correct one to use.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com