[jdev] IPv6 readyness?

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Thu Apr 17 01:15:16 CDT 2008

16 apr 2008 kl. 16.41 skrev Norman Rasmussen:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Jonathan Dickinson
> <jonathanD at k2.com> wrote:
> I know this is OT, but what are your experiences with IPv6? I have
> been itching to actively use IPv6 resources for a while, but I am
> just not there yet: any motivations to bump up my efforts (as a
> developer/end user)?
>
> Re XMPP: Add DNS AAAA records, make sure your jabber server listens/
> connects if IPv6 is available, and it "just-works".
>
> Other stuff: Firefox and IE seem to just work too.
>
> Most _new_ libraries are supporting IPv6 transparently, so if you're
> using one of those you're fine.  If you're doing lower level
> networking then you might need to look at migrating to newer DNS
> lookups used for connecting. I migrated VIRC a few years back
> (patches still to be merged *sigh*), and the changes were pretty
> small.

It's not always that simple, there's a lot of gateway issues we need
to take care of too. If I have a jabber server on IPv4 only,
and your XMPP SRV records has IPv6 only, I need a configuration for
redirecting the jabber messages to an IPv4 to IPv6
gateway. There are application level issues to handle migration here,
not only socket and DNS issues.

/O