[jdev] resources available via XMPP...

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Mon Apr 21 14:51:30 CDT 2008

Stephen Pendleton wrote:
> Jeff, so you know what is the status of OASIS and the CAP protocol?
> Isn't that what the USGS and NWS uses? We have a XEP for CAP alerts
> over XMPP: http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0127.html

Yeah, I'm familiar with that XEP.  Alas, there's not a lot that reads
and understands CAP, so while it would be cool to include a CAP stanza
in the messages, in the meantime I think a more human readable version
needs to be sent as well, and that means parsing and GIS work, which is
what is really beyond my facilities (seriously folks, you *don't* want
me programming...the results are not pretty ;)

Also, FWIW, the USGS stuff is not available in CAP...they use their own
"CUBE" (I think they call it) encoding of information that is specific
to seismic activities (since depth below ground is important in that
world and if I remember correctly, you can't do that in CAP).

Also, the NWS CAP stuff is only experimental, but its cool that they're
heading in that direction, and I have encouraged them through whatever
contacts I have on this initiative.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."