[jdev] resources available via XMPP...

Ernest Nova ennova2005-jabber at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 15:23:23 CDT 2008

--- Jeff McAdams <jeffm at iglou.com> wrote:

> Stephen Pendleton wrote:
> > Jeff, so you know what is the status of OASIS and the CAP protocol?
> > Isn't that what the USGS and NWS uses? We have a XEP for CAP alerts
> > over XMPP: http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0127.html
>
> Yeah, I'm familiar with that XEP.  Alas, there's not a lot that reads
> and understands CAP, so while it would be cool to include a CAP
> stanza
> in the messages, in the meantime I think a more human readable
> version
> needs to be sent as well, and that means parsing and GIS work, which
> is
> what is really beyond my facilities (seriously folks, you *don't*
> want
> me programming...the results are not pretty ;)
>
> Also, FWIW, the USGS stuff is not available in CAP...they use their
> own
> "CUBE" (I think they call it) encoding of information that is
> specific
> to seismic activities (since depth below ground is important in that
> world and if I remember correctly, you can't do that in CAP).
>
> Also, the NWS CAP stuff is only experimental, but its cool that
> they're
> heading in that direction, and I have encouraged them through
> whatever
> contacts I have on this initiative.
> --
> Jeff McAdams

Another thought is to watch for the XML datafeed published by USGS in
RSS format, and I am aware of several efforts that do RSS to XMPP (both
one-one and group chat messaging) via bots/interactive agents etc.

FWIW, see http://www.usgs.gov/rss/ . This does have some CAP feeds -
possibly experimental as noted before.

~E.