[jdev] server-side history (was: multiplexing idea)

Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Wed Mar 19 14:53:34 CDT 2008

salve

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Remko_Tron=E7on?= typeth:
| This is a separate issue I think. This is indeed a server-side history
| request, and is something wanted by many people (including me).

cool, we've been having server-side history for a while and would love
to see a dedicated XEP so we can avoid using it via adhoc commands.
is anything in the works already?

the typical requirements we have been having are:
* configurable amount of history
* history expiring by period of time, even if amount hasn't been reached
* fetch an amount of last messages
* fetch all message since a certain time stamp / period of time
* "grep" the lastlog by search word
  (tricky, because the grep string may affect all kinds of fields in
   the logged packets - i mean attributes and cdatas in stanzas)

and of course there is a need for a lot of safety measures..
if a hacker or secret agent manages to break into a system, he of course
is able to modify the server to log all conversations, but he shouldn't be
able to look at all the existing histories retroactively.

cheers.