[jdev] Google Summer of Code 2008

Sylvain Hellegouarch sh at defuze.org
Fri Mar 21 10:04:17 CDT 2008

> Nick Vidal wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> BTW I disagree with the text at the wiki, which says you would have one
>>> pubsub node for each blog post. That might be interesting for a more
>>> complex pubsub implementation, but I think that for most bloggers they
>>> would prefer to push notifications to their normal JID using PEP.
>>>

>> I agree with Peter, PEP <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0163.html>
>> is
>> the way to go. I have a widget
>> <http://iss.im/files/isscarousel.png>implemented in
>> jquery <http://jquery.com/> and I'm integrating it into
>> Drupal<http://drupal.org/>and
>> Wordpress <http://wordpress.org/>. It resembles a roster/blogroll, with
>> tagclouds shown for each contact. Massimiliano Mirra (from
>> Sameplace<http://sameplace.cc/>)
>> is exploring http binding with Drupal and ejabberd
>> <http://www.ejabberd.im/>,
>> so that when a users publishes a blog post to Drupal, it gets published
>> PEP as well. Our final goal is to implement ISS (Instant Syndicating
>> Standards) <http://iss.im/>. If any students are interested, we are
>> willing
>> to mentor. Thanks!
>
> Hi Nick, that sounds interesting. I think we need more cross-pollination
> across projects (Drupal+Wordpress+Jabber, oh my!). What exactly would be
> the scope for a SoC project working in this area? It sounds like you and
> bard have this space pretty well covered...
>
> Peter

I've actually provided the idea of implementing XMPP-core and a few
necessary extensions (client at first but server too if time allows) with
Kamaelia [1] [2] for GSoC 2008. That could fit your idea of
cross-pollination here Peter. I'm notably interested in XMPP and AtomPub
with potentially a XForms client for good measure. I know there are quite
a few ideas involving Kamaelia and 3D rendering, and having an XMPP client
as a way to control a rendering could be fun.

The code base is actually existing already on my server [3]. If anyone
wants to discuss this, let me know.

- Sylvain

[1] http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Home
[2] http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/SummerOfCode2008