[jdev] Google Summer of Code 2008

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Fri Mar 21 15:43:06 CDT 2008

>  Agreed. We have BOSH but it seems that have yet to really take advantage
>  of it on the client side. Do you think that starting a project like this
>  is realistic for GSoC? I don't have a clear sense of the scope here...

I'm not sure about the feasibility either. As far as I know, there are
probably enough frameworks for both the backend (in Ruby, Python,
Java, ...), and there are some good frontend libraries available (e.g.
extjs). I don't know how much work it would be to take one of the
backends, find some framework in that language to plug in a bosh
implementation. I would think that, if one uses the right frontend
framework, one would get a good looking UI pretty fast (ExtJS seems to
look good!).

But I'm waiting for someone with actual Ajax experience to jump in and
tell me i'm completely wrong.

In the meantime, I'll just write this stuff in the wiki.

cheers,
Remko