[jdev] Wordpress plugin

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 05:06:30 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Remko Tronçon <remko at el-tramo.be> wrote:
> >  Apparently Psi does not know what to do when he receives the
>  >  message from the pubsub node.
>
>  Yes, it does know what to do with pubsub messages: ignore them, unless
>  they publish to a namespace that is known how to display it in the UI
>  (tunes, mood, avatar). Adding support for new namespaces easy; knowing
>  how to display this namespace, however, is not. Personally, I have
>  always thought that reading RSS feeds/blog posts in an IM client is
>  like forcing a round peg through a square hole. No matter how much I
>  like my IM client, there are much better tools for doing this. But
>  many people disagree.

Here I am among them ;) You are right if you consider present IM
clients, which handle content only if they have hardcoded support for
that particular namespace. That is the reason for which we stated the
API mailing list, IM clients should be able to retrieve also the
presentation logic of the content and what's better than html +
javascipt?
The main reason for which I think that IM clients are the best options
is that we're talking of content whose nature is "push", we don't want
to open a client and see whether there is some new doing human
polling...

>  This opinion on IM clients aside, I think publishing wordpress blogs
>  to pubsub nodes is cool. Maybe someone should create a dedicated XMPP
>  client for reading feeds (either web-based or desktop), or add XMPP
>  support to a good existing RSS reader. I don't really know of anything
>  better than Google Reader, so it would be very nice to have something
>  like that in a free version doing XMPP pubsub. A GSOC plugin could
>  look into the different aspects of reading and publishing (atom) feeds
>  in general would be worthwile i think.

This is what we can have in a reasonable time, but for the future I'd
bet on direct support on IM clients or XMPP integration in browsers

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com