[jdev] Python/XMPP GSoC proposal

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Thu Mar 27 10:18:15 CDT 2008

Hello

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:20:07PM -0400, Tro wrote:
> > My personal opinion is that Python lacks any unique features especially
> > required for XMPP server.
> > C/C++ has speed. Erlang has monstrous flexibility, reliability, native
> > threading support, and especially tailored for communications. Perl has
> > sophisticated string-processing features. Python has none of it. You
> > like Python (i like it too), but you can't translate everything to Python.
> > It is not for me to tell you for what exactly Python is good, but it is
> > not an XMPP Server.
> > You could have tried creating XMPP client framework on Python, but
> > Twisted done that already.
> > That's my IMHO.
>
> Here're some counter-points:
>  * C/C++ may have speed, but writing a Python program is probably 20x faster
> than the C/C++ equivalent. Python is really good for prototyping things (i.e.
> XEPs) before you implement them in a faster language.
>  * Perl may have sophisticated string-processing features, but it's also
> difficult to read/debug and has a steeper learning curve than Python.
>    * the Python community is more welcoming and more active, IMHO.
>    * do you need a lot of sophisticated string-processing to do XMPP if you
> have a good XML library?
>  * Erlang: how many developers know Erlang when compared to Python?

The point wasn't that python is useless. The point was why start writing
new server, when there are few fast & good ones already, when you can
not possibly beat them in performance (and with XMPP server you need
performance, python is weak at that point). You could beat it with
functionality (on the long run, at last), but no bigger server would use
it anyway.

And people writing XMPP servers need to be really good programmers. So
faster learning is not a thing you would really need here, good
programmers do not (much) care, which language they use. Someone who can
not handle perl or erlang should keep away from tasks like XMPP servers,
kernels, GUI libraries…

--
Fragile. Do not turn umop ap1sdn!

Michal 'vorner' Vaner