[jdev] XEP-0124 : polling meaning

yasuharu.yanamura at nts.ricoh.co.jp yasuharu.yanamura at nts.ricoh.co.jp
Mon Feb 20 10:41:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

I want to ask you about the right definistion of "polling" in XEP-0124.

"polling" is written in 12.Polling Session below.

>> If a session will use "polling", the connection manager SHOULD specify a
higher than normal value for the 'inactivity' attribute  in its session
creation response.
>> The increase SHOULD be greater than the value it specifies for the
'polling' attribute.

What "polling" mean?
I want to know when should I treat polling attribute of session creation
response.

"polling" means ,

(1) sending empty request to CM (long polling) ?

or

(2) setting the values of the 'wait' and/or 'hold' attributes in its
session creation request to "0",
 and then "poll" the connection manager at regular intervals throughout the
session for payloads it might have received from the server ?

or

(3) something else ?

Sincerely,
Yasuharu