[jdev] pubsub, notifications of subscription changes to owner or publisher

Hund, Johannes johannes.hund at siemens.com
Fri Jul 5 10:04:29 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a technical question regarding pubsub.
I have a use case where I only want to publish if there is at least one subscriber  (Bandwidth economization on publisher side). Publishing is to be done regardless if that subscriber is online or not, its just the question if there is anybody interested in that data at all.

I did not see forseen in xep-0060 (see http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.xml, http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html is truncated by the way) that the publisher or owner is notified when someone subscribes to his node.

I can of course poll the node regularly for subscriptions, but I got the definite feeling that there is a better way in XMPP, which I did not understand yet.

Anybody has some advice on that?

Best regards, Johannes