Explicit vs. Implicit Initiation [was Re: [Juser] FYI]

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Aug 30 12:15:31 CDT 2002

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>Yeah, cool, huh? I posted that news here:
>
>http://www.jabbercentral.org/news/view.php?news_id=1030050129

This is interesting...the post on jabbercentral requires an effort on my
part to go to that website every day. The mailing list sends messages
automatically...the classic pull vs push. The website is based on pull,
and the mailinglist is using push. It appears that when it comes to push
vs. pull, the information is not as important as the initiation method.
I should know. I did my Ph.D on this ;-)
(http://verma.sfsu.edu/profile/phd.proposal.pdf)
It is also interesting how the initiation method ties into how presence
works. Implicit vs. Explicit supposedly makes all the difference.

Sameer

--
Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Information Systems