[Juser] Jabber server and client foo

Jim Arnold jarnold at knightridder.com
Tue Nov 26 08:06:09 CST 2002

Hello!

I've been playing with Jabber in hopes of moving our company off of
Yahoo IM. Over the past few days I've been playing with the Jabber
server installed on a FreeBSD 4.7 stable box behind our firewall. My
first impression is that Jabber clients have a *long* way to go. The
server was pretty easy to set up. But I do have a few questions....

FreeBSD runs jabberd out of a file in rc.d. I changed the HOSTNAME
variable in that file to 192.168.0.10, the dummy IP assigned to that
box behind our firewall.

The note on the jabber.xml file states:

"Currently on FreeBSD jabberd is started with the -h option from
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/jabberd.sh.  You'll need to modify this before
changing below."

OK, that's a little vague.... After playing around I came up with
this for that line in jabberd.sh. :
su -f -m ${USER} -c "jabberd -B ${HOSTNAME} -c ${PREFIX}/etc/jabber.xml" ;;

I then went through the Jabber Admin Guide successfully, setting up a
few test accounts from the telnet session on the box and a few via a
Jabber client on my OS X box on the network.

My first huge glitch came while trying to chat with myself. I fired
up Exodus on a windoze box and TVJab on the Mac. Everything I sent to
the Mac from the Windows box showed up fine in a chat window.
Anything I sent back to the Windows box in response would not appear
on the Windows box in Exodus.

I tried the same thing at home the night before on the same type of
setup. The jabber server was set up and running on a FreeBSD box.
That same box was installed with the PSI jabber client. The mac was
using JabberFOX or Nitro. This time anything I sent to the FreeBSD
jabber client from the mac would not show up. Anything I sent from
the FreeBSD box to the mac jabber client(s) would show up perfectly.

What is going on? This doesn't exactly boost my confidence.

Next I would like to get this working from behind the firewall out to
the net. The docs mentions this:

shouldn't there be a slash (/) in the second set of host parameters like this?

The box I would run this on does not have a FQDN, just an IP number.
Assuming I open the firewall correctly, would I set it up like this:?
Would I have to change anything else in jabber.xml? If I add the
above line I get this error:

hogan# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/jabberd.sh start
192.168.0.10: not found
  jabberd hogan# 20021122T22:57:09: [notice] (-internal): initializing server

On my firewall I am forwarding packets for 5222 to the 192.168.0.10 box.

Thanks for any help or insights you can provide. I'm not find much help online.

Regards,
Jim