[Juser] Priority - how to make good use of it

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat Jul 19 06:06:38 CDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:47:09AM +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> I have been using Jabber for some time now (currently using the Gabber
> and JAJC clients) but I have yet to get to grips with the meaning of the
> "priority" field.
>
> Would someone be able to direct me to information on what this field is
> supposed to do? In case it makes any difference, I have signed up to
> gateways for the legacy systems too.

As you might know, you have to set a resource when connecting with a client.
Jabber allows you to use more than one client at the same time with the
same account (but using different resources).

The priority setting is there to let the server determine where to send
messages that are not directed to a specific resource but just the base JID
(user at server rather than user at server/resource). Such messages will go
to the client with the highest priority setting (and if there is a tie,
it goes to the client that connected first).

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm