[Juser] Jabber Question.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jun 17 22:50:26 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:07:15PM -0500, Guillermo Arturo Cuadros Casta?eda wrote:
> Hi, I would like to know if the Jabber server can be used to develop a
> private chat client (1 to 1) and, if so, do you know where I could find
> some documents related to it ?  I appreciate your help.

Sure, there are dozens of Jabber clients, some of which are open and
some of which are proprietary (closed source). Basically you need to
open a TCP socket and parse XML incrementally. There are also libraries
for many languages to get you started. But there is no one document that
explains how to write a client. You might find these links helpful:

http://www.jabber.org/protocol/
http://www.jabber.org/developer/librarylist.php

It's also good to see how other clients are written, for example Exodus:

http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/

For more help, join the JDEV list: