[Juser] Running mulitple instances of a jabber client

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 15 17:39:16 CDT 2003

Greg,

Probably what is happening is that when you log in from home, your
client is using the same resource name, thus booting your connection at
work. But then your connection at work may have an auto-reconnect
feature enabled, so when it comes back online, you get booted at home.
Fun, eh? The solution is to use a different resource at home vs. work if
that is possible in your client.

Timestamping depends on the client. Most clients support it.

If you can't get this to work with your client, try another one, such as
a Exodus, Psi, Rival, etc. -- full list here:

http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php

Peter

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 02:11:31PM -0500, Schlabs, Greg wrote:
> Hi,
>   We just started using jabber at hp.  I work both out of my house and
> at the office, thus, I have a tendency to leave work and just lock my
> pc, not logout/reboot/etc.  I thought I exited jabber (Jabber Messenger
> by HP 2.0.3.1) client on my pc at work, but no guarantees.  I installed
> the client at home and could connect and startup private chats or join a
> room.  However, within a few minutes, I would have to 'sign in' again.
> I had someone shut down my pc at work and, it has continued to work at
> home.  Is there a restriction against having multiple instances of a
> jabber client running?  This seems to be the problem, but...thought I'd
> ask.
>
>   Since I have you, is there a way to turn on timestamping of messages?
> It is a convenient feature to see if you missed something a while ago,
> or just got it recently?
>
>   Is this the appropriate forum to send these types of 'new-user'
> questions to?
>
> thanks,
>  greg
>
> ----------------------------
> Greg Schlabs
> Technical Account Manager,
> High Availability Support Services
> HP Services
> 719.592.3531
> HASS Support: 1.800.345.3746
> greg.schlabs at hp.com
> "I wish the ring had never come to me...I wish none of this had
> happened."
>
> "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to
> decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given
> to us."
>                             J. R. R. Tolkien, "The Lord of the Rings"

Jabber Software Foundation