[Juser] Re: (no subject)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Aug 17 11:51:23 CDT 2004

In article <ED7CB3B0-EFD5-11D8-B36D-000D93360592 at liefstryder.co.uk>,
 Lief Stryder <email at liefstryder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> It appears that the documentation covers the proceedure for finding
> friends/users in Gabber and Exodus. These programs, as I understand
> from the Jabber User guide, automatically process the actual Jabber
> username (my MSN username on Jabber for example, is
> liefstryder%hotmail.com at jabber.org.uk) and therefore the users of these
> programs do not need to know this information in order to run the
> programs successfully.
>
> Users of other programs, especially less developed Mac OS X programs,
> need this kind of information as they are using a much more primative
> interface to the server. this is of course, only my opion based on the
> last few days of getting to know Jabber. I hope it is of some use to
> you.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Yes, in some Jabber clients you need to
know how to write in the full (i.e., escaped) Jabberized address for an
MSN contact or whatever. I'll add some information about that to the
user guide.

> Out of curiousity and a need for clarity; does the Jabber suffix
> (@jabber.org.uk for example) of my cross-protocol (say, Jabber to MSN)
> username depend on the server I am registered with or the one which the
> person trying to find me is connected to.

I don't quite understand your question. When you register with an MSN
gateway, your MSN friends see you as your MSN name and never see
anything about Jabber in your MSN address. This is because the gateway
functions as a proxy for you on the foreign IM service (in this case,
MSN). However, when you add an MSN contact in your Jabber client, the
last part of that person's Jabberized address will be the gateway you've
registered with, not your home server. So let's say my Jabber ID is
stpeter at jabber.org (so jabber.org is my "home" server) and I register
with the MSN gateway at msn.amessage.info. Now if I add you to my
roster, you will be:

liefstryder%hotmail.com at msn.amessage.info

Of course, if I then unregister with msn.amessage.info and register with
the MSN gateway at msn.jabbernet.dk for example, then I need to add all
my MSN contacts again (or possibly msn.jabbernet.dk will do it for me).
Just one of the many problems with client proxy gateways... :-)

/psa