[Juser] Client Models

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno.org
Mon Aug 30 22:06:46 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 08:22, Jim Flowers wrote:
> Setting up a jabberd server (jabberd sm 2.0s3) and looking at clients.
> Most users will be Windows so I first configured exodus (0.9.0.0), then
> looked at gaim (0.81).
>
> It appears that there are two (at least) different models used for IM.  The
> first, typical of Yahoo! Messenger terminates the connection on Send.  The
> second, more like AOL IM opens a one-to-one chat dialog for back and forth
> messaging until one or the other closes the connection.
>
> Exodus seems to be oriented towards the send-and-close model while Gaim
> opens a chat window, even on a jabberd server.
>
> Is this correct or am I missing something in the configuration?
>
> While I'm here does anyone having lots of Windows users have a preference
> as to client or words of advice?

I run a 50 node network, ~75 users, on jabberd2s3.  We use psi here ( google,
first link, not the measurement ).

Works wonderfully, although it isn't quite as feature rich as some of the
other clients out there.  It is simple to use and understand, and thankfully,
setup.

That's my personal preference for windows, but if we are talking about a
computer with kde on it, then I like kopete.  :)

Sean