[Juser] Jabber questions, invisible, status, transports

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Feb 13 11:16:16 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 05:28, silence at kolibrie.rolahola.tudelft.nl wrote:

> I have been using Jabber for quite some years now, with great pleasure I
> must say.

I'm happy to hear it!

> - Why (with every client I used so far) do my transports disconnect when
>   ever I change to invisible mode???? As far as I know transports also
>   support invisibility. So when changing the client to invis, the
>   transports that support invis could also change to invis. Or am I
>   wrong? Is this a transport, server or client problem? Am I doing
>   something wrong?

When you use the old-style invisible presence (we are working to replace
it with something better), you send unavailable presence to all the
entities in your roster. So the transport now thinks you are offline.
The new invisibility won't have that problem.

> - Also with every client I tried, I am unable to see status messages
>   like away messages of Icq users. Furthermore those same Icq users are
>   unable to see my away messages. As far as I know the transport
>   supports it. But It does not work for me.

I'm not sure what to say about that, since I don't use the ICQ gateways.
You say it works sometimes, or that it never works?

> - When ever I connect with two jabber clients to a server using the same
>   account the transports of the client already connected get
>   disconnected. Why is that, the transports run on the jabber server and
>   when ever I connect to a server with multiple clients, the clients
>   could share the transports. Okay I agree the routing of the messages
>   to the jabber clients could become somewhat more difficult. But
>   sharing of transports would be not that difficult. Or am I wrong?

This probably depends on the gateway implementation. It may be that the
gateway receives presence from jeroen at jabber.org/newconnection (or
whatever) and therefore thinks that the new connection is the only
connection. I'll ask some of the gateway developers about this.

> Greetings Jeroen

I see a few people named Jeroen in the Orkut Jabber group -- are you one
of them? ;-)

/psa