[Juser] Yahoo! transports / running a personal server and transports

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Feb 13 15:00:13 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 04:17, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> First, I seem to be having some difficulties with yahoo.amessage.info
> again:
>
> Ability to connect is somewhat sporadic - it seems to work or not work
> at random.
>
> When I am connected, it seems that my messages are not getting through
> to users of Yahoo!-compatible messenger clients. However, I can see all
> my contacts and their messages.
>
> Is this know about, fixable, or is there a transport that works better
> at the moment? It's a bit of a pain to have to fire up ayttm all the
> time as well.

I had some trouble with that gateway and have tried a few others as
well, since there is one person I need to talk with on Yahoo. I've found
that gateways on the more obscure servers tend to work better, since
they are not as heavily used. Ping me on Jabber and I'll tell you which
one I'm using. ;-)

> Second, if I wanted to, I gather I could set up my own server.
>
> If I did that, would I need to make any special arrangements to connect
> to the rest of the Jabber network? I gather I could run my own
> transports to the other messenger systems, if I wished, but what about
> my contacts on the rest of Jabber?

Yes, you can run your own server. You don't need to make special
arrangements to connect to the rest of the network, just make sure your
DNS is set up correctly. Servers on the network connect to each other
dynamically based on DNS lookups.