[Juser] Re: Client for the disabled?

Frank Seesink frank at mail.wvnet.edu
Tue Jan 13 18:45:03 CST 2004

Hey Sami!

Not sure if this is any help, but if by disabled you mean blind, one
possibility, at least for Windows users, might be the Rhymbox client
(www.rhymbox.com).  Your post made me remember something I read on the
Rhymbox support forum recently.  It took me awhile to dig it up (the
forum could use some help with its search tool), but here's the direct link:

http://pub72.ezboard.com/frhymboxfrm4.showMessage?topicID=121.topic

The user making the support request IS blind, and the person responding
is the author of Rhymbox.  But the overall impression I get is that the
user finds Rhymbox useful in his case.  It's not console-oriented, mind
you, but rather relies heavily on MS Internet Explorer's engine, which
in turn apparently is translated by the reader program he uses (JAWS for
Windows).

As always, your mileage may vary, but figured I'd mention it.  You may
want to contact the user in the above post and see if he has any further
info.  Wish I could be of more help, but this is all I've run across.
Not sure which console clients you've gone through, but I would think
any that run under Linux would be readable to those who use hardware
braille readers.

My former CS student and friend, who is blind, had such a reader that
plugged into the serial port of his PC.  It worked with DOS back in
1992.  It took us awhile to get him up and running with Linux back
around '94-'95, but I remember Joel (my friend) using it back then
already, so can only imagine things have progressed.  Joel could read
anything on the console screen, though apps that use curses and similar
full-screen features could throw him at times.  Not sure how things have
progressed since then, as I haven't seen Joel since around 1996. :-/

Best of luck with this issue.  I think it's a worthy cause to pursue.