[Juser] Re: Sending SMS with a Jabber Client

Tony Yat-Tung Cheung tony.cheung at asiayeah.com
Fri Nov 26 08:37:21 CST 2004

Mark Derricutt wrote:
> Tony Yat-Tung Cheung wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've written an article or tutorial on sending SMS with a Jabber client.
>>
>> http://www.chatopus.com/articles/sms.html
>>
>> The Jabber SMS delivery transport is provided by swissjabber.ch, which
>> actually connects to the SMS gateway at aspsms.com. The SMS gateway
>> allows you to send SMS messages to over 100 countries and 450 mobile
>> networks.
>>
> Interesting - does this gateway give you two-way messaging at all?  I
> wrote a Jabber SMS gateway ages ago that works with the gateway of the
> company I work for ( we develop SMS based systems ).
>
> How is the messaging from this gateway charged?

No, the SMS transport and gateway together only allows you to send SMS
messages. You are not able to receive SMS message with it.

Here's an extract from the article about the pricing,
"The SMS gateway allows you to send SMS messages to over 100 countries
and 450 mobile networks (see
http://www.aspsms.com/supportednetworks.asp). Each normal text SMS
message will only cost around 7.5 cents (US) for all countries. There is
no setup fee. However, you would need to a buy a volume of SMS credits
before you can send an SMS."

Is your Jabber SMS gateway available for public use? How can we use it?

Thanks.

Tony Cheung
http://www.chatopus.com