[Juser] Re: authentication failure problem with exodus

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Oct 4 10:19:46 CDT 2004

In article <415DC25E.6090807 at vorefamily.net>,
 Mike <mike at vorefamily.net> wrote:

> James M Galvin wrote:
> > I'm replying to my own message so there's a response to the issue in the
> > archive.  I never got a response from anyone on the mailing list but I
> > did finally get a response from the folks at JSF.
> >
> > It seems the problem was the Exodus client.  I was told that it has
> > exhibited the behavior of changing account parameters when it suits it
> > to do so.  A check of my account parameters found that the password on
> > my account had been changed.
> >
> > As to whether the problem was actually something Exodus did or was a
> > problem on the server side, I can not say for certain.  It could just be
> > the interaction between Exodus and the jabber.org service.  However,
> > since I was not included to debug the issue I took the recommended
> > advice: switch clients.  There are so many to choose from it was by far
> > the easiest thing to do.
> >

> jim,
>      As a new jabber user I normally use Gaim, but tried Exodus once.  The
> password was changed, I thought it was something I did.  But now I'm more
> sure it was Exodus that (helped to) cause the problem.  I've had no problem
> with Gaim - either Linux or Wondurz 2000 version.
>
> mike

Older versions of Exodus disagreed with jabberd 1.4.3 about something
undefined in the jabber:iq:register protocol, which resulted in empty
passwords (not changed passwords) on the servers running jabberd 1.4.3
(e.g., the jabber.org server). Was your password empty or changed? Which
version of Exodus were you using? If this was Exodus 0.9 or above,
please file a bug report:

http://www.jabberstudio.org/projects/exodus/bugs/

/psa