[Juser] Newbie to forum has problems

Mark R. Hilton mark_hilton at mac.com
Tue Apr 26 03:27:01 CDT 2005

Hi,

I know this is somewhat of a minority issue, but if anyone has a
suggestion, I would be most appreciative.

I have a jabber account through jabber.com.cn, as well as accounts on
MSN, ICQ, AIM and Yahoo. A Mac user, I use Proteus as my client. I have
always been very happy with it. However two problems have occurred in
relation to jabber in chatting with a particular friend.

Firstly, although we are both on-line according to our clients, we
cannot see each other and messages don't reach other. Her jabber
account is through jabber.cn. I also tried it using Psi as my client,
but that didn't make any difference.

Secondly, we were chatting last night. She was using the jabber
transport to ICQ and I was connected directly to ICQ with Proteus. She
sent me a message with three Chinese characters in it. The characters
came out as question-marks. When I sent a message with a Chinese
character in it, it was completely blank at her end. I tried the
various Simplified Chinese encodings but that made no difference ...
always blank!

So, does anyone have an idea what is going on. I am using a Ti
Powerbook running OS-X 10.3.9. This problem seems to have arisen since
I upgraded to X.3.9.

Many thanks
Mark