[Juser] Re: Juser Digest, Vol 18, Issue 15

Mark R. Hilton mark_hilton at mac.com
Tue Apr 26 22:00:15 CDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:00:05 -0500 (CDT), juser-request at jabber.org
wrote:
> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:03:19 -0400
> From: Hal Rottenberg <halr9000 at gmail.com>

Thanks for the response.

>>  Firstly, although we are both on-line according to our clients, we
>>  cannot see each other and messages don't reach other. Her jabber
>>  account is through jabber.cn. I also tried it using Psi as my client,
>>  but that didn't make any difference.
>
> In Proteus, you could try removing and then re-adding your friend.  In
> Psi, you might try the re-send and re-request authorization commands
> (right-click on her ID in your roster).

Last night we managed to get chatting through jabber working OK. Using
Psi I set myself up with an account on jabber.cn, the server she uses,
and got it working ... I think normally, but I am not sure about her
roster! I know what I did, so I imagine I can get the other jabber
accounts I had set up working too, or I might just close them.

>>  Secondly, we were chatting last night. She was using the jabber
>>  transport to ICQ and I was connected directly to ICQ with Proteus. She
>>  sent me a message with three Chinese characters in it. The characters
>
> Have you tried the same thing over Jabber?  Could be a transport
> issue...  Has this worked in the past?  Is your friend also using
> Proteus?

Being Chinese, here in China, she is using a Windows box running a
Chinese version of Windows, though I am not sure which one. On Psi, the
chat header had her down as <name at jabber.cn/Just Another Jabber Client>
if that gives any indication of what client software she is using. I
have reset jabber under Proteus, so that it is now reading the jabber
account which I got to work. This evening, we will see if I can chat to
her directly in jabber using proteus, and will then be able to test
what happens with Chinese.

But last night, before I started trying to get jabber to work, I had
been chatting to her with me on MSN through Proteus and her using the
Jabber-MSN transport ... no problem with Chinese. That suggests to me
that the Chinese problem is with the jabber-ICQ transport. I noticed
that jabber.cn is now using a new JIT transport rather than their
previous one whatever it was. I can't remember if they put a date to
the change, but this has been the first time I have ever had such a
problem. Mind you, it is possible that this was the first time we used
jabber-ICQ. I persuaded her to give jabber a try, as she was saying
what a bore it was to have separate clients open to be able to chat to
friends on MSN, ICQ and QQ. It is possible that all our previous chat
sessions while she was connected through a jabber transport we were
actually using MSN and therefore not aware of a problem with jabber-ICQ.

I also had a response on the Proteus forum from "Proton" one of the
coders. He too thought it must be a transport problem.

jabber.com.cn apparently says that they have a transport to
QQ--originally a Chinese ICQ-alike called OICQ. I must look into that,
'cos if I could get that working that would be a real boon. Many
Chinese friends only use QQ, but that has no Mac client--we Mac users
are such an insignificant minority here!--so to be able to go through
jabber would be great. But first I need to set up a QQ account.

Thanks for your help, Hal.

Mark