[Juser] Use of jabber for web customer care

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 03:52:31 CDT 2005

On 02/08/05, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:

> Michael Richter wrote:
> > Don't. I'm serious. It's not even really adequate for personal,
> unimportant
> > chatting. Specificaly S2S is such a mess that most of the time half the
> > Jabber-using world can't talk to the other half, with the specifics of
> the
> > halves changing every week.
>
> I'm sorry you feel that way, but in general server admins work to keep
> their servers up and communicating with other servers. When there are
> specific server-to-server outages, we work together to resolve the
> problem (not always as quickly as you might like, but everyone is busy).
> Are there specific servers that are problematic?

I rarely, if ever, can connect to anybody off of
jabber.org<http://jabber.org>unless I'm logged in to
jabber.org <http://jabber.org> myself. My jabber.cn <http://jabber.cn> ID,
similarly, has no problem talking to anybody on jabber.cn <http://jabber.cn>,
but can rarely talk to anybody off it. In general if I'm talking off-server
at all -- whether to another Jabber system or through a bridge to YIM, MSN
or whatever -- it's about a 50/50 chance at any given time if I'll get
through or not. Basically, the Jabber network is less reliable than MSN. MSN
being the network I pretty much dropped for any except legacy communications
with people too scared to try anything different because it was so damned
unreliable.

I'm sure that the admins work their hardest at keeping things running. The
problem, to my mind, isn't in the server admins (whom I have watched several
times in this forum alone acting with diligence and professionalism), nor in
the Jabber protocols (which are tight and yet flexible -- a nice trick). It
lies in the Jabber server software. It is simply unreliable and until that
is addressed seriously by the Jabber community, Jabber will remain an
unimportant side-road in communications.