[Juser] Use of jabber for web customer care

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:16:30 CDT 2005

On 8/3/05, Michael Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I rarely, if ever, can connect to anybody off of
> jabber.org<http://jabber.org>unless I'm logged in to
> jabber.org <http://jabber.org> myself. My jabber.cn <http://jabber.cn> ID,
> similarly, has no problem talking to anybody on jabber.cn <http://jabber.cn>,
> but can rarely talk to anybody off it. In general if I'm talking off-server

I have seen this many times.  Strangely however, not in at least a
month, maybe several now that I think about it.  I think these
problems are due to some known bugs in jabberd, or perhaps an older
version, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or provide links to
more details.  I do not know that I've experienced any such problems
with jabberd2, ejabberd, or jive messenger.

> at all -- whether to another Jabber system or through a bridge to YIM, MSN
> or whatever -- it's about a 50/50 chance at any given time if I'll get
> through or not. Basically, the Jabber network is less reliable than MSN. MSN
> being the network I pretty much dropped for any except legacy communications
> with people too scared to try anything different because it was so damned
> unreliable.

This has actually gotten a lot better too, mostly thanks to the
renewed transport projects coded in python.  I used to never be able
to keep Yahoo up, now it's rare that I notice it down.

> I'm sure that the admins work their hardest at keeping things running. The
> problem, to my mind, isn't in the server admins (whom I have watched several
> times in this forum alone acting with diligence and professionalism), nor in
> the Jabber protocols (which are tight and yet flexible -- a nice trick). It
> lies in the Jabber server software. It is simply unreliable and until that
> is addressed seriously by the Jabber community, Jabber will remain an
> unimportant side-road in communications.

I think you are perfectly describing a problem that truly is getting a
lot better.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc