[Juser] Use of jabber for web customer care

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 05:49:21 CDT 2005

> > I'm sure that the admins work their hardest at keeping things running.
> The
> > problem, to my mind, isn't in the server admins (whom I have watched
> several
> > times in this forum alone acting with diligence and professionalism),
> nor in
> > the Jabber protocols (which are tight and yet flexible -- a nice trick).
> It
> > lies in the Jabber server software. It is simply unreliable and until
> that
> > is addressed seriously by the Jabber community, Jabber will remain an
> > unimportant side-road in communications.
>
> I think you are perfectly describing a problem that truly is getting a
> lot better.

I sincerely hope it is. I would like to see IM taken out of the proprietary
world and into the world of public standards (like networking before it).
Jabber seems to be the only current project capable of doing this -- but it
is so damned frustrating watching it shamble along with coders--hobby
hackers--putting in all the neat tricks they can think of, but without
working on fundamentals like "security" or "stability". This is the weak
link in open source work: everybody wants to work on the cool stuff, but the
necessary stuff is rarely cool. (Point of evidence: Linux and its hate/hate
relationship with good user interface design.)