Federation: (was: Re: [Juser] Re: Google Jabber servers)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 25 15:07:05 CDT 2005

Williams, Kevin C wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the federation concept of jabber.  It sounds like
> it would allow other jabber servers to communicate with each other
> allowing user1 from server1 to communicate with user2 on server2?  If
> so, are there efforts to allow for federation between jabber and
> non-jabber messaging systems such as yahoo!, msn AND AIM?

Jabber is essentially just like email (except it is more secure because
you can't fake your from address etc.). Just as on email I
(stpeter at jabber.org) can send a message to you (we'll call you
kevin at boeing.com), so on Jabber I (also stpeter at jabber.org) can send a
message to most anyone who has a Jabber account (e.g., perhaps also
kevin at boeing.com), unless their domain (e.g., boeing.com) does not allow
what we call "server to server" connections. Right now, Google Talk does
not have server to server functionality turned on (in fact I don't even
think they've coded it up yet), so their service is not "federated" with
the rest of the network. Eventually it will (we hope), but not yet.

As to Yahoo, MSN, and AIM -- we've been working on that for the last 6
years by trying to make the Jabber/XMPP network larger and larger,
getting big companies to adopt our technology, etc. I've written about
it recently here (scroll down to the end):

http://www.jabber.org/journal/2005-08-24.shtml

Hope that helps,

Jabber Software Foundation