[Juser] Federation

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:58:37 CDT 2005

On 8/31/05, Williams, Kevin C <kevin.c.williams3 at boeing.com> wrote:
> "automated bots registration" could you explain?  I'm still trying to grasp the federation concept.

I think he just means that once Google opens up their network to the
rest of the Jabber world, unsavory characters will begin to write
software to try to register for new gmail/gtalk accounts as quickly as
possible to use for...whatever.  spamming or something.

Federation in this context just refers to a network being open, like
Jabber (or email), as opposed to closed, like MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/AIM.
Jabber transports don't count, they are just hacks to work around the
fact that the respective networks are closed.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc
http://halr9000.com