[Juser] TLS/SSL

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 14:55:49 CST 2005

juser,

My welcome message did not mention an archive. I'm sure this has been
asked before, but since I can't find the archive, I can't find the
answer myself.

I am using Gaim 1.1.4 (no, this isn't about the account creation bug).
I am trying out Jabber because of AIM's recent terms of service
changes, allowing them to do whatever they please with my
conversations. I want to use Jabber only if conversations are
encrypted (I do not need them to be encrypted end-to-end... I assume
that Jabber's SSL works by encrypting only while in transit between
client and server, not all the way from client to client -- please
correct me if I misunderstand this). I have the box "use TLS if
available" checked in Gaim. The jabber.org/network lists jabber.org as
supporting SSL, but I don't know if this is the old SSL or if you mean
TLS. Basically, I just want to know if my conversations are secure,
and how I would know if the client I'm talking to is also connected
over SSL.

Thanks for your help!

--
Matt Warden