s2s issues (was Re: [Juser] stable public jabber server?)

Jeremy Lunn jeremy at austux.net
Fri May 13 10:52:02 CDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 11:09:18AM -0400, Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> Gabor, you'll occasionally find that some servers stop talking to each
> other.  I'd like to know if there is a root cause that people are
> trying to nail down but I've never thought to ask that on JDEV mailing
> list.  It has to do with S2S.  I don't know if its specific to
> jabberd1 or what but it's a big issue as far as I'm concerned with
> many different servers.  I get it all the time.

I think a lot of problems have been caused by dialback.  I don't know
where jabberd 1.4 is at with this now but it used to have a few bugs.
Though I haven't had any problems with jabberd 2.0s8 (in fact I've had
no problems since December with 2.0s6 + patches).  Though if the default
config doesn't work for you there are some tweaks that can be made in
the server config.  This may be necessary for some conditions such as
where a stateful firewall is involved.

Other than that, I don't know what's with jabber.org.  It seems to have
issues of various sorts, no matter what I do to to tweak the config on
my servers.  So I just suggest to people to use a local server.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia