[Juser] Questions about running a jabber server
jimikzero at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 00:40:04 CDT 2006
Recently ive been curiouse about running my own instant messenger and have been searching for all kinds of resources. I found out about jabber in wikipedia and became intrigued that this might be an easy answer for what I need. However after reading the article it became extremely unclear as it talked more about the clients and not the servers themselves. So i guesse i'll tell you what it is what i want ... and if you laugh try not to laugh while im in the same room im extremely new to everything im doing and have almost no clue.
What im doing is developing a MMORPG since im not completely sure how to run one i am first making a private one amongst friends and coworkers. The private MMO is almost completely developed i'd say 90% done on paper and a lot of other things are ready for the game to be off paper and into a computer. The most important thing to an MMO is community, of course, so for a community there needs to be communication. When i found jabber i wasnt sure if it could handle it. I understand that i probably will need to create my own client for jabber but what im not so sure about is ...
1. I need to make it so when a player enters a room noone on the outside of that room can "hear" them.
2. In large scale rooms say like a city that after certain distances from other players, players cant "hear" eachother and the only way to talk to someone out of range is directly IM the player.
3. Certain IM channesl can be heard globabaly ex. Guild, fighting parties, and admin anouncements.
4. All of the previouse being seen with only one chat window for each player(i dont really know how to word that i hope you understand what i mean)
5. Players will have a mailbox that they can access anytime to recieve messages they were given offline.
6. NPC are able to send messages. Characters that are nothing but mere dummys can input messages like ...such and such item given to player or just merely telling story or hints to the player.
I know a majority of this will be mostly be dependant on on the client that i have to create.. my questions..... Can this be done with the jabber as my server for that chat portion of the game? And if so what would i have to do to make sure everything would be legal if i make a public MMO using jabbers server as a portion of the game im not entirely sure about the term open source on something like this?
Any suggestion pertaining to this would be highly appreciated as well.
As far as the private MMO this is what i plan to have so far
The number of users will be capped at 150(this number is including admin users)
A dinosuar server dual pentium 2 with either a gig or 512mb of ram
I would like the server to run off linux
And internet service with in up of 3meg
im not looking for a whole lot of security options due to the fact that i will know everyone who will be on the private MMO
Right now i just want to get the IM server up and will have minimal graphics if any(other then the UI) once i feel ive mastered admining and modifying the IM client enough move up to far superior server computer and start building it into a game. And i know ive said this a lot but i realize a lot of this im asking is mostly dependent on the programming skills of my crew.
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messengers low PC-to-Phone call rates.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the JUser