[Juser] Questions about running a jabber server

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Tue Aug 8 19:08:25 CDT 2006

If you could do us a favor and turn off HTML and make sure your mail program
word wraps at 72 columns, that would make your messages considerably more
readable (many mail reader/terminal combos are limited to 80 columns and
plain text only) and reply-able for everyone (less reformatting necessary).

On Monday 07 August 2006 22:40, Ed Allen wrote:
> The most important thing to an MMO is community, of course, so
> for a community there needs to be communication.  When i found jabber i
> wasnt sure if it could handle it.  I understand that i probably will need
> to create my own client for jabber but what im not so sure about is ...

Looks like you might be trying to use XMPP as your underlying messaging
protocol for your MMORPG then?  If so, I would consider implementing your own
custom server as well that is tuned for your particular niche application, or
consider something other than XMPP altogether as XML streams tend to have
considerably more network overhead than your average online game.  I learned
this tidbit the hard way when I suggested perhaps using XMPP for network play
in FlightGear (since almost everything in FlightGear and it's virtual
environment is expressible in XML).

> 1.  I need to make it so when a player enters a room noone on the outside of
> that room can "hear" them.

Sounds like Multi-User Chat (MUC) is what you might want to take a closer look
at for this part.

> 2.  In large scale rooms say like a city that after certain distances from
> other players, players cant "hear" eachother and the only way to talk to
> someone out of range is directly IM the player.

Distance attenuation is something you'll have to implement in the game since
there's not much use for it outside a simulated environment.

> 3.   Certain IM channesl can be heard globabaly ex. Guild, fighting
> parties, and admin anouncements.

Admin announcements can be heard by everyone on a server in most Jabber server
implementations available today.  You still have to join a chat to hear it,
though.

> 4.  All of the previouse being seen with
> only one chat window for each player(i dont really know how to word that i
> hope you understand what i mean)

Thats another user-interface issue like distance attenuation that you're on
your own for.

> 5.  Players will have a mailbox that they
> can access anytime to recieve messages they were given offline.

Most Jabber server implementations have offline messaging capability (the only
one that I know for sure doesn't have it is Google Talk, the server).

> 6.  NPC are able to send messages.  Characters that are nothing but mere
> dummys can input messages like ...such and such item given to player or just
> merely telling story or hints to the player.

Bots aren't terribly uncommon and can send you messages.

> I know a majority of this will be mostly be dependant on on the client
> that i have to create.. my questions..... Can this be done with the jabber
> as my server for that chat portion of the game?  And if so what would i
> have to do to make sure everything would be legal if i make a public MMO
> using jabbers server as a portion of the game im not entirely sure about
> the term open source on something like this?

XMPP is an open standard like SMTP, POP, IMAP, etc.  You're welcome and
encouraged to use the protocol and spread it around.  The more, the merrier.

>   Right now i just want to get the IM server up and will have minimal
> graphics if any(other then the UI)

Never saw the point in installing a GUI on a server, seemed kind of pointless
since the machine won't be handling your average user directly.  Most of the
time, the GUI would just be in the way of allowing things that need RAM a bit
more desperately than an unused GUI does.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): baloo at ursine.ca
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber