[Juser] Jabber Games

Peter Mount petermount at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 05:00:36 CDT 2006

On 21/08/06, Fabian Zeindl <fabian at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i don't know whether this is the right place to talk about this, I hope
> so.
> I use Jabber for about 2 years now, and I wondered whether there is the
> possibility of playing games (like chess, three in a row etc.) over
> jabber.

Yes. At work we run all bar one of our multiplayer games with Jabber as the
transport, and it work's extremely well. We have had a few problems over the
last year, but most of them have been outside of jabber (were using the
commercial Jabber.com server).

I'm not a very experienced coder, so I don't know whether this
> is possible, but I think the best would be a JEP that defines some kind
> of "standard-game-capability" for Jabber Clients.

That would be interesting

> Of course the best would be if all games would be running on all sorts
> of (graphical) jabber client und all major operating systems. Maybe by
> using script-language or stuff like Adobe Flash?

We use Flash for that exact reason.

Peter Mount       peter at retep.org.uk, petermount at gmail.com
                         http://retep.org
   XMPP Jabber: peter at carli.retep.net