[Juser] Adding Yahoo Gateway

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Dec 22 02:32:42 CST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 11:47 -0800, J D wrote:
> Hi All:
> On Exodus when I go to tools>jabber browser  I get a jabber addess of:
> jabber.org with 4 objects and do not see the same 7 objects (address:
> jabber.at) that appear in the users guide.  I am trying to find and
> use a Yahoo Gateway so that i can chat with folks there.
> Thanks in advance and happy holidays,

Every Jabber server is free to choose which services it offers to its
users. Because services like Yahoo have a proprietary IM protocol and
don't really like the idea of gateways from Jabber, the legality of said
gateways is questionable. Also, larger gateway deployments tend to have
problems keeping all connections going. Those are a couple of reasons
jabber.org doesn't provide any gateways.

That said, even if you have a jabber.org account, some public jabber
servers still allow you to use their gateways with that. Just enter
another address in the browser. See http://www.xmpp.net/ for a list of
public server along with the services they provide.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm