[Juser] Creating an account and recovering an old one

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jan 23 10:20:10 CST 2006

J. Grant wrote:
> Hello,
> I wonder if someone could help me with a problem I have at present. I
> tried to create an account without success, using Gaim v1.5.0 and
> Gabber2 v1.9.4.3

Gaim had an account registration bug for a while but it was fixed in
1.5.0, I think.

> Would it be possible to create a more intuitive web-based approach to
> allow users to create an account?

Sure, it's possible. But no one has had time to do it.

> "just try and login" seems a rather
> haphazard approach" IMHO.. I'm sure there is a good reason for it being
> the way it is though?

Laziness.

> Also, I have a feeling i tried to create an account name a few years
> ago, but did not succeed. Is there a way to query if that account is
> active?

That would not be a good idea, since it would open up Jabber servers to
dictionary harvesting attacks, thus increasing the likelihood of spam on
the Jabber network.

Jabber Software Foundation