[Juser] ICQ full capabilities?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jul 20 16:45:57 CDT 2006

Jabber is an open system for IM, presence, etc. We don't interface with
all of ICQ's functionality directly, but I think that you can do almost
everything on Jabber that you can do on ICQ (and more!). However, we do
that on our own open network, not on ICQ's closed service. The only way
to talk with people on ICQ via Jabber is through gateways between the
Jabber network and the ICQ service, but those gateways don't implement
all the features of ICQ because ICQ is a closed service with closed
protocols, not an open system like Jabber.

Perhaps I can explain it this way: Jabber is like the Linux of instant
messaging, and your question is like "Can I do everything on Linux that
I can do on Windows?" Well, sure, you can use OpenOffice for document
editing, Thunderbird for email, etc. -- but that doesn't mean you have
exactly the same functionality as Word, Outlook, etc.

Does that make sense?